查看: 1924|回复: 5

[印度] 最后的锡金对峙,印度予中国迎头痛击

发表于 2017-7-11 10:03 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

The last Sikkim stand-off: When India gave China a bloody nose in 1967

The 1967 incident marked the last incident of casualties on both sides in the Sikkim sector. And the last death in any sector of the India-China border was in 1975 at Tulung La, and that was by accident, when two patrols were lost in the fog.


The last time India and China were engaged in a major military stand-off in Sikkim was in 1967.
On that instance, just five years after India's traumatic 1962 war defeat, the Indian Army gave the Chinese a bloody nose, according to accounts from the time. More than 80 Indian soldiers were killed, while estimates say between 300 to 400 Chinese troops were killed.
It was certainly a different time: One account suggests that to protest China's actions then in Sikkim, which reportedly included a Chinese complaint of a herd of sheep being stolen, a 43-year-old Member of Parliament by the name of Atal Bihari Vajpayee drove a herd of sheep to the Chinese Embassy in Shantipath in New Delhi to stage a rather colourful protest.

There are fascinating parallels from the 1967 incident. That was also a stand-off that began with pushing and shoving, when the Chinese filled up trenches that India had dug.
That stand-off was also marked by Chinese irritation at the Indian Army's presence in the then Kingdom of Sikkim. This month's stand-off, in the Doklam plateau contested by China and Bhutan, has reflected China's annoyance with the Indian Army's presence in Bhutan. China's government said this week that Bhutan was "a sovereign country" and no "third party" should interfere.
"The Chinese were not comfortable with Sikkim being an Indian protectorate with the deployment of the Indian Army at that time," recalled Maj Gen Sheru Thapliyal (retd), who was in 1967 posted in nearby Sebu La and later commanded the Nathu La brigade.
As he wrote in an essay published in 2004 in Force magazine and later published by the Centre for Land Warfare Studies, the stand-off began as engineers and jawans started erecting long iron pickets from Nathu La to Sebu La along the perceived border, which was agreed by both sides under the 1890 treaty between Great Britain and Qing Dynasty China. A scuffle began as China objected to the laying of the wire, and the PLA Political Commissar was roughed up.
The Chinese returned days later. "A whistle was heard on the Chinese side followed by murderous medium machine gun fire from north shoulder. The pass is completely devoid of cover and the jawans of 70 Field Company and 18 Rajput were caught in the open and suffered heavy casualties which included Col Rai Singh who was wounded. Two brave officers - Capt Dagar of 2 Grenadiers and Major Harbhajan Singh of 18 Rajput rallied a few troops and tried to assault the Chinese MMG but both died a heroic death," recalled Maj Gen Thapliyal.
He adds, "On 14 September 1967, Chinese threatened use of Air Force if shelling did not stop. By then the lesson had been driven home and an uneasy ceasefire came about. The Chinese, true to form, had pulled over dead bodies to their side of the perceived border at night and accused us of violating the border. Dead bodies were exchanged on 15 September at which time: Sam Manekshaw, [then Eastern Army Commander], Aurora [Lt Gen Jagjit Aurora, Corps Commander] and Sagat [Maj Gen Sagat Singh, GOC Mountain Division in Sikkim] were present on the Pass."
He recalled the situation "again flared up twenty days later when on 1 October 1967 a face-off between India and China took place at Cho La, another pass on the Sikkim-Tibet border a few kilometers north of Nathu La".
"Despite initial casualties, 7/11 GR and 10 JAK RIF stood firm and forced the Chinese to withdraw nearly three kilometers away to a feature named Kam Barracks where they remain deployed till date. Cho La Pass is firmly in Indian hands. Indian Army had got better of the Chinese yet again."
He wrote, "No wonder, Sino-Indian border has remained peaceful ever since to the extent that today Chinese soldiers come and ask their Indian counterparts at Nathu La for cigarettes, rum and tea, mail is exchanged twice in a week in a hut constructed specially for this purpose and border personnel meeting takes place there twice a year."
The 1967 incident marked the last incident of casualties on both sides in the Sikkim sector. And the last death in any sector of the India-China border was in 1975 at Tulung La, and that was by accident, when two patrols were lost in the fog. So despite the close parallels, 50 years on history is unlikely to repeat itself with the border remaining largely tranquil in the decades since.


使用道具 举报

 楼主| 发表于 2017-7-11 10:07 | 显示全部楼层


本帖最后由 格雷伍玆 于 2017-7-11 10:25 编辑








“当时,中国对锡金是印度的保护国,当时的印度军队是不满意的,”陆军少将Sheru Thapliyal(retd)回忆说,1967年,他在附近的Sebu La驻扎,后来指挥了纳撒拉旅。

为他写了一篇2004年发表在杂志和地面战争研究中心发表的晚些时候,对峙始于工程师和印度士兵开始装配长铁雪桩从Nathu La Sebu认为边境,由双方同意根据1890年清朝英国和中国之间的条约。在中国反对铺设电线的同时,中国人民解放军的政治委员遭到了粗暴的对待。

几天后,中国人又回来了。中国方面听到了哨声,随后传来了来自北肩的杀人中机枪。这一通行证完全没有掩护,70个野战公司的贾瓦人和18名拉杰普特人被当场抓获,并遭受重大伤亡,其中包括受伤的拉辛·辛格。两名英勇的军官——两名掷弹兵的Capt Dagar和18位Rajput的主要港口辛格,集结了几名士兵,试图攻击中国的MMG,但他们都死于英勇的死亡,”Thapliyal少将回忆说。

他补充说,“1967年9月14日,如果炮击没有停止,中国威胁使用空军。到那时,这一课已经被赶出家门,并出现了令人不安的停火。中国,一如往常,在夜间把尸体拖到边境,指责我们违反了边界。9月15日,死亡的尸体被交换了:萨姆·芒克肖(当时的东部陆军司令)、奥罗拉(贾吉特·奥罗拉将军、陆军司令)和萨特(Sagat Singh,Sikkim的GOC山地师)都出席了这次会议。


尽管有初步伤亡,7 / 11 GR和10 JAK RIF仍然坚定,迫使中国人撤离了近三公里的一个名为Kam兵营(Kam兵营)的地方,在那里他们仍被部署到目前为止。乔·拉·帕斯牢牢地掌握在印度人手中。印度军队又一次打败了中国人。

他写道,“难怪,中印边境一直和平自从今天在某种程度上,中国士兵过来问其印度同行在Nathu La香烟、朗姆酒和茶,交换邮件在一周两次在一个小屋建造专门为此和边境人员会议举行一年两次。”


回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-7-11 12:02 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-7-11 12:24 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-7-11 12:51 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-7-11 13:17 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册


小黑屋|手机版|南海研究论坛 ( 辽ICP备12011429号|辽公安备21091102000117 )

GMT+8, 2019-8-19 14:26 , Processed in 0.184225 second(s), 18 queries , Gzip On.

Powered by Discuz! X3.4

© 2001-2017 Comsenz Inc.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表